Youth Chamber Connection (YC²) offers chamber music education, enrichment, and performance opportunities to members of Three Rivers Young Peoples Orchestras (TRYPO), the Pittsburgh Youth Symphony Orchestra (PYSO), City Music Center of Duquesne University (CMC), and other interested young musicians. YC² is administrated by TRYPO staff. All musicians (approx. ages 7-20) are welcome to apply, regardless of your affiliation. Our goal is to expose as many students as possible to the joy of playing chamber music!
Registration for 2018-19 will open August 1, 2018. Complete this form and we will be in touch when registration opens for the school year, or check back August 1.
- Designed for intermediate and beginning-level musicians - including members of Symphonette, Intrada, CMC, and other young musicians regardless of affiliation.
- Work with a professional coach for 45 minutes weekly on recital repertoire. Coaches include faculty of CMC, TRYPO coaching staff, and other area music educators.
- Coachings are scheduled every Saturday, October through mid-May (holiday weeks excluded).
- Perform in Winter and Spring recitals at Duquesne's PNC Recital Hall or in CMC Performance Class.
- Additional, optional, performance opportunities are available including performing pre-concert in the Heinz Hall lobby for the Pittsburgh Youth Symphony Orchestra.
- Designed for advanced-intermediate and advanced musicians - including members of YPO and PYSO, plus other interested young musicians regardless of affiliation.
- Rehearse weekly for 90 minutes - 45 minutes with a professional coach and 45 minutes rehearsal with your group - preparing recital repertoire. Most coaches are members of the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra.
- When possible, rehearsals are scheduled to coordinate with students' orchestra rehearsal (if applicable), October through mid-May (holiday weeks excluded):
- on Saturdays at Duquesne University for YPO-level members
- on Sundays in Downtown Pittsburgh for PYSO-level members
- Performance Track students are expected to complete at least four performances each year; additional, optional, performances are available.
- Student groups have performed at special events at Heinz Field, the City-County Building, Benedum Center, the Governor's Mansion in Harrisburg, LaRoche College, Carnegie Museums, Phipps Conservatory, and Chatham College.
- Groups have performed on KDKA-TV, WQED-FM, and Saturday Light Brigade Radio.
Our September Session consists of three weeks of large and small group rehearsals focusing on sightreading and learning common repertoire, culminating in our first Community Connection event of the school year - a collaboration with Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh. Students are divided into temporary small ensembles and go out to perform at several different neighborhood library branches. This is an essential time for our coaching staff to get to know each musician in order to group students into school-year chamber ensembles at the conclusion of the session.
YC² 2018-19: September Session will be held: September 8, 15 and 22, 2018.
Play for a Coach
YC² welcomes young musicians at all playing levels who have adequate skills for ensemble work. Students will be scheduled to play for a coach, to help determine the best group placement. We work hard to place all interested students in a suitable chamber group of students at a similar age, playing level, and schedule availability. Most years, we are able to place 100% of students who register during our placement period.
Self-formed ensembles are welcome to register. For the 2018-2019 year, all members of a self-formed group must be registered by September 15, 2018. After that date, YC² will complete any partially-formed ensembles with a qualified, registered student on our waiting list.
Chamber groups formed within a high-school music program are welcome, and are encouraged to remain together as a YC² group, if their schedules allow.