Join Us for a Week of Chamber Music in Beautiful Chautauqua, NY
AUGUST 11-18, 2018
YC² in Chautauqua is an awesome week at the end of August for students currently in 8th-12th grade (during the 2017-18 school year), in a beautiful place, with terrific coaches, incredible concerts to attend, fun meals together in the dining hall, spending time with great new and old friends, mountain-top performance opportunities, master classes that will knock your socks off, and playing world premieres of student compositions.
Registration for August 11-18, 2018, will begin by January 2018. Early-bird registration will open first for members of YC², TRYPO, PYSO, and CMC; and will be open to non-members if space is available. Contact email@example.com or call 412-391-0185 for more information!
YC² in Chautauqua is a unique collaboration between Chautauqua Institution, which provides a wonderful one-week music camp for commuters, and YC², which provides chaperoned-housing, all meals, and additional enrichment and performance opportunities. This will be our 7th year taking Pittsburgh-area students and other interested young musicians to Chautauqua for a week of music education and performances - some students attended five years in a row!
Students attend Chautauqua Music Camps during the day and Pittsburgh-based Youth Chamber Connection manages the residential component by providing:
- Seven nights lodging in YC²-chaperoned housing;
- All meals included at the residences or on-campus dining facilities (parents donate breakfast and snack items for houses);
- Chautauqua Music Camp Fees;
- One-week gate pass to the Chautauqua Institute (includes admission to all evening performances);
- Additional enrichment and performance opportunities.
Eligibility Requirements: This camp is open to intermediate and advanced musicians currently in 8th-12th grade during the 2017-18 school year. Students enrolled in Youth Chamber Connection (YC²), the Pittsburgh Youth Symphony Orchestra (PYSO), or Three Rivers Young Peoples Orchestras (TRYPO) receive priority placement and do not have audition requirements. Students not enrolled in YC², PYSO, or TRYPO are welcome to apply, if space is available, and will be asked to provide an audition tape to ensure we have a suitable spot for you in a chamber group.
2017 TUITION RATES (2018 rates will be available in January 2018):
Members of YC², PYSO, TRYPO, CMC: $775
- A Non-refundable tuition payment of $50 will be due upon receipt of confirmation from YC² to indicate your acceptance. Payment instructions and the remaining tuition payment schedule will be provided in your confirmation email.
- Members requesting tuition assistance may indicate this after receiving confirmation. We are committed to keeping tuition costs as low as possible without diminishing the quality or depth of programming, and ensuring no deserving young musician be denied participation based on financial means. Scholarship requests have no impact on acceptance.
- Graduating seniors may cancel by May 10 and receive a full tuition refund (less $25) if their college check-in date conflicts with YC²in Chautauqua. (In the past, some students have gone straight from Chautauqua to college!)
If you have additional questions contact:
Laurie Cunningham, YC² Manager
NOTE: Chautauqua Music Camps are commuter camps. Families who register directly with Chautauqua Music Camps are enrolled as commuters, and families are expected to provide their own housing, meals, and supervision during non-camp hours. YC² partners with Chautauqua Music Camps to offer a residential experience which includes camp enrollment plus YC²-chaperoned-housing, all meals, and additional evening activities and supervision.
Announcing an Open Call for Student Compositions for Chautauqua 2018!
Deadline: April 1, 2018
Each year, our Chautauqua campers present a world premiere or two or three. To be selected, a winning piece must be appealing to young musicians as well as to an audience which includes listeners of all ages. The performance setting is an ecumenical worship service.
Difficulty Level: Intermediate to Advanced in skills required, and also accessible enough that student musicians can prepare it in two, maximum three group rehearsals.
Instrumentation: String orchestra (Minimum: violin I and II, viola, cello, and bass. Maximum: violin I, II, and III; viola I and II; cello I and II; bass); plus piano and/or organ; plus individual parts for specific winds, brass, and percussion who enroll in camp. Optional: piece may include SATB parts for choral accompaniment (60-110 voices), solo voices optional.
Award: If your piece is selected, you may conduct at a pre-camp rehearsal in early August, and you'll receive the joy of hearing your own music played by young musicians. No financial remuneration.
Contact: Laurie Cunningham, YC² Manager, 412-391-0185, firstname.lastname@example.org