We had a wonderful week attending Chautauqua Music Camps 2018!
Registration for 2019 camp will be open by January 1, 2019.
Complete a Camp Interest Form and we will notify you when registration opens!
- Study orchestra and chamber music or jazz at Chautauqua Music Camp
- Stay in YC²-chaperoned housing
- Enjoy meals together in the houses and dining hall
- Attend professional concerts together in the evening
- Perform in stunning venues
- And enjoy free time in this Victorian-era village set on Chautauqua Lake
- Families who wish to provide their own housing in the Chautauqua area, visit Chautauqua Music Camps website for "commuter" camper information.
This camp is for intermediate or advanced level musicians completing 7th-12th grade. Please email a 1-2 minute video which demonstrates your current playing level to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Members Tuition: (2018 rate-$825; 2019 rate-TBD)
- For current members of our affiliate organizations: Youth Chamber Connection (YC²), Three Rivers Young Peoples Orchestras (TRYPO - YPO or SYM), Pittsburgh Youth Symphony Orchestra (PYSO), and City Music Center of Duquesne University (CMC).
- PLUS we are offering the member's rate for eligible students from Pittsburgh CAPA, Lincoln Park Performing Arts Charter School, Pittsburgh Music Academy, Hope Academy, PYPO, PYCO, and WYSO.
Non-Members Tuition: (2018 rate-$925; 2019 rate-TBD)
Other musicians from the Pittsburgh area or elsewhere are welcome to join us. YC² expands Chautauqua's day camp into a 7-day, 24/7, chaperoned residential camp experience for musicians interested in either Orchestra/Chamber Music Camp or Jazz Camp.
Music Camp is NOT just for music majors!
Studying chamber music, a major focus of this camp, of course strengthens your playing, intonation, and overall musicianship; but it also teaches skills you will use throughout your life such as leadership, close listening, and teamwork. Living in shared housing waiting for the shower, quietly reminding your roommates to stop talking so you can get some sleep, and taking a turn at kitchen duty, teaches cooperation, patience, resilience, and promotes kindness. Helping the staff set up for a performance; being on time and prepared for rehearsals; inviting someone new to join your group at dinner, for ice-cream, or a walk to the lake; well, that just helps us all be better people.
We hope you will join us and be part of a special community making music together.
Paying for Camp
After receiving confirmation, your first tuition payment will be due - watch your email for instructions. Your payment options include:
Checks made payable to TRYPO (Three Rivers Young Peoples Orchestra is our program administrator). Please note "CHQ Tuition" on Memo line. Mail to: Youth Chamber Connection, c/o TRYPO, 212 Ninth Street, Suite 601, Pittsburgh, PA 15222.
Pay online via Class Juggler. If you are not a current YC2 or TRYPO member, begin by registering a new account with Class Juggler. They will notify us, then we will add your CHQ tuition charges to your account.
Pay online via Paypal. Please note "CHQ Tuition" in the "Special Message for Charity" box.
Announcing an Open Call for Student Compositions for Chautauqua 2018!
Deadline: April 1, 2018
Each year, our Chautauqua campers present a world premiere or two or three. To be selected, a winning piece must be appealing to young musicians as well as to an audience which includes listeners of all ages. The performance setting is an ecumenical worship service.
Difficulty Level: Intermediate to Advanced in skills required, and also accessible enough that student musicians can prepare it in two, maximum three group rehearsals.
Instrumentation: String orchestra (Minimum: violin I and II, viola, cello, and bass. Maximum: violin I, II, and III; viola I and II; cello I and II; bass); plus piano and/or organ; plus individual parts for specific winds, brass, and percussion who enroll in camp. Optional: piece may include SATB parts for choral accompaniment (60-110 voices), solo voices optional.
Award: If your piece is selected, you may conduct at a pre-camp rehearsal in early August, and you'll receive the joy of hearing your own music played by young musicians. No financial remuneration.
Contact: Laurie Cunningham, YC² Manager, 412-391-0185, email@example.com